Let me just tell you. I ate this roast like it was made out of gold. Well, I guess I wouldn’t eat gold but it was sooooo good. The boy wasn’t hungry that night but I cut him a slice anyways since I knew he would eat it. I came back into the kitchen to grab more and he had sliced and eaten through half of it. This roast was almost 2lbs! Needless to say, this recipe is a keeper! This was also the first time I cooked using a meat thermometer. It was pretty ok, but I guess I did not check as often as necessary as it did cook a little too much for my liking. It was well done and I prefer medium rare. Granted, it was delicious either way, I will just watch the temperature a little closer next time. I also did not have fresh cloves of garlic but did have some freshly pureed garlic so I used that instead. It made an awesome crust on the roast and I think I preferred it that way.
Garlic Lover’s Roast
2lb Eye round roast
3-4T Pureed garlic, you need enough to really coat both sides of the roast
Salt and pepper
1. Bring roast to room temperature on counter to ensure a more tender roast (about 1 hour)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3. Peirce into roast with knife in 1/2″ cuts so that the garlic can soak into the roast as it cooks
4. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. You can’t do too much on the salt as it soaks in and tenderizes the meat but do the pepper to taste
5. Slather roast on both sides with as much garlic as you please. We had a nice coating on ours. Sprinkles with rosemary and push the garlic and rosemary into the roast so it sticks a little better and doesn’t fall off right away
6. Cook roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 135 for medium rare as it will rise in temperature while it sits. Ours took about an hour but it hit 160 so next time I will cut back on the cooking time a little
7. LET ROAST SIT! This will distribute the juices back through the roast instead of all over your plate when you cut into it. Let it sit about 10 minutes or so if possible. It will be difficult.
8. Enjoy =]