Let’s just start with salsa. I love salsa. Especially salsa from Mexican restaurants. But I don’t go out for Mexican food very often so I finally mustered up the courage to make my own a few months ago and let me just say. AWESOME. I will put a post up on that in a few. There is such a difference between fresh and not fresh salsa. You will never buy salsa again. And it’s SO easy. Back on point. Chimichangas. I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually had them in real life until last week but essentially a fried burrito without rice. Getting rid of my least favorite part of burritos and making it fried? Yea, I’m sold. I found this recipe for oven fried chimichangas and figured I would give it a try since Mexican used to be all the boy ate until I got here. Now he eats more than tacos and enchiladas haha
2 Chicken breasts
1/2c Salsa (use the chunky part more than the juice)
1 Handful Colby Jack or Mexican blend cheese
Small handful green onions, chopped
2T Butter, melted
Sour cream, salsa, guac, cheese, whatever you want to serve it with
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Sauté chicken on stovetop and once cooked, shred.
3. Add salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese, and green onions and mix well. You may want to add more salsa or hot sauce if you want it spicier or saucier.
4. Spray oven safe pan with non stick spray and get ready to roll chimichangas. I placed my tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds first so that they would not crack while I was rolling
5. Place 1/4 of the filling in the middle of each tortilla. Fold the ends in and then roll up so the filling does not fall out. Rub melted butter on the outside so they crisp up nicely
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and top with your desire of toppings. I just like sour cream and salsa on mine
Look how crispy they look! I used one multi grain tortilla for the boy and his turned out just as good but I think the flour looks prettier