Chinese food is essentially one of my favorite foods ever. Except I like the cheap, greasy, delicious kind. Usually in excess, buffet style. However, I don’t love the gross feeling afterwards. The self loathing and hatred. It doesn’t go well with fried rice. Or crab ragoons, which have none of the previously stated effect. Yumm. Anyway, I’ve come across a few Chinese recipes lately that are perfect replicas to the buffet without the self hatred. I did cut the meat and veggies for this in half, but left the full amount of sauce, cause I like sauce.
Chinese Chicken and Mushrooms
1 Chicken breast
1T Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil, but the original suggests peanut)
1/4c Chicken broth
1T Soy sauce
2T Sherry (I didn’t have any so I used Merlot with a splash of rice vinegar)
1/8t Ground ginger
1. Cut and trim chicken breasts to desired size, I cubed mine
2. Sprinkle chicken and zucchini with garlic salt. Heat oil in pan
3. Cook chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms until cooked thoroughly and veggies are tender
4. Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for sauce except cornstarch and water
5. Mix cornstarch and a little water until thoroughly mixed.
6. Add sauce to chicken and veggies and bring to a boil
7. Turn heat down to simmer and stir in the cornstarch and water mixture. Mix well and let cook until sauce is thickened to your desire. Took about three minutes for me, but wish I would have done it a little longer.
Note: If you want the chicken and veggies to have more flavor instead of just being coated with sauce, add the sauce mixture when chicken and veggies are about halfway done cooking. This is the way I will do it next time. Or when they look like this, just starting to cook.
This recipe is tried and true! I made it again according to my directions and it turned out awesome! I did forget the zucchini but I added the sauce earlier like I was talking about and it definitely helped with the flavor and reducing it. It was nice and thick and definitely fully coated my chicken and mushrooms and wasn’t super runny. Ate it with rice this time and it was delicious!