Bourguignon is one of my favorite savory dishes. Well anything with sauce and egg noodles is pretty much my favorite dish. Yummy. Now my mouth is watering. Anyway, the boy was away buying a boat over the weekend so I splurged and ate a whole pack of mushrooms over 24 hours since he hates them. So I figured I would make him something super delicious when he came back and this is what came to mind. I got the super approval from him, he didn’t even add hotsauce! (That is a big accomplishment, fyi) The original recipe calls for mushrooms, but the real dish is beef. I’ve made it with just mushrooms before and loved it so I switched it up this time. It is a little time consuming, but worth it.
Don’t forget to wipe the drool off your keyboard.
1lb, Steak, sliced thin (Sub mushrooms, sliced, for vegetarian)
1/2 Carrot, minced
1/2 Onion, minced
2T Minced garlic
1c Red wine, I used merlot
2c Veggie broth, I use Better Than Bouillon
2T Tomato paste
1t Fresh thyme or 1/2t dried
1 1/2T Flour
1. Melt 2T butter in pan and add onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, and a shake of salt and pepper. Saute on low heat until carrots are softened.
2. Add wine and turn the heat up. Reduce the liquid by half
3. Bring pot of water to a boil and cook egg noodles while everything is simmering.
4. Stir in tomato paste and broth and let simmer 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the steak the way you like, I sauté mine in a pan. I also leave it a little rare so it cooks in the sauce later when you add it.
5. Melt 1T butter and add flour to it. Stir into sauce and let simmer to thicken. Add steak at this point so it can absorb some flavor.
6. Serve sauce and steak over egg noodles and top with chopped chives and parsley. Enjoy!